There is something about leather that turns heads and catches attention. It may be the smell, the texture or the classic style that comes with leather products. Leather is a look that will never age.
There is nothing like the feel of a new leather jacket, the comfort of a leather couch or the durability of leather shoes. Because of its wide appeal it is important to know how to maintain your leather products. It is essential to know how to clean leather.
Leather is one of the oldest materials used by man. It was used in many ways in primitive times as it is still used in a variety of ways now. It is the most durable of all materials used in upholstery.
Is your leather genuine?
Genuine leather will not burn or melt and is extremely difficult to rip or puncture. The classic look, feel and durability of leather make it a timeless material that can be used in a number of ways.
Its use now ranges from clothing, shoes, accessories and furniture. You will find leather goods in pretty much any home you visit. Knowing how to clean leather and following a few leather cleaning tips will ensure your goods will stand the test of time and continue to stand out the way leather is supposed to.
How to clean leather coats, shoes and accessories?
Because of the natural strength and durability of leather its requires very little care and maintenance for everyday use. However stains and spills are bound to happen in any home or environment. Some basic leather cleaning tips will go a long way to protecting your leather.
Tip 1 – For superficial spills simply wipe away excess with a clean warm absorbent cloth and air to dry.
Tip 2 – For more ground in stains you may require the use of leather furniture cleaning products such as a leather stain remover or cleaner.
How to clean grease and oil stains?
How to clean leather with serious grease or oil stains without scratching the fabric is simple.
- Use a dry cloth to wipe away the stain first, you may also use a leather cleaner but its is highly recommended that you do not use water on these types of stains.
- Remove any liquid stains immediately before using a leather furniture cleaning product.
Leather is a natural material that requires very little maintenance so you don’t need much more than some basic leather cleaning tips and tricks.
What not to do
Cleaning leather effectively is as much about what not to do as it is about how to clean leather.
- Never use an abrasive soap or cleaner on you leather, the material will repel these kinds of cleaners but if left to absorb they will damage the leather.
- Do not use soap of any kind on leather.
- Do not scrub or brush leather it is naturally preserved and therefore should not require scrubbing for stain removal.
- Do not use oils or varnishes on leather they tend to make the leather sticky.
How to clean leather with a protective finish?
Cleaning leather that is protected by some sort of coating is simple.
- Regular dusting and removal of stains will keep your leather furniture, clothing or shoes in tiptop shape.
- The use of a leather polish is recommended after cleaning and dusting.
Cleaning unprotected leather
How to clean leather that has not been coated involves a little more work.
- Use a damp cloth to remove stains immediately, go over with a dry cloth and finish with a polish or protector.
How to clean leather shoes
For cleaning leather shoes there are a number of specific products that are suited for this purpose. Clean leather shoes in the same way as you would furniture by removing stains quickly. You can use a cleaning product that suits both if necessary.
Tip – Another leather cleaning tip for shoes is to use a specified shoe cleaner and protector.
Leather has a sensual exciting quality that can complete the look of any home. It is perfect for clothing in both style and protection from the elements. It breaths in the heat and protects you form the cold. It is virtually an impenetrable material, which makes it ideal for protection.
Keeping your leather clean is as simple as using a few leather cleaning tips. If you want to maintain your classic leather style then you need to know how to clean leather. By using leather cleaning furniture products and clothing and shoe protection products you can ensure your leather goods will have the impact you desire.